While many food articles will focus on Back to School Lunch or Breakfast ideas, I want to give you 2 nutrient dense recipes that can be enjoyed at any meal or snacktime. These 2 recipes are quick to prepare ahead of time and work well for a grab and go lifestyle or a yummy sit down indulgence for both kids and parents alike.
The first recipe is one that I make all the time. Eggs are an exceptional food packed with healthy protein and fat. Eggs also contain choline a nutrient that supports brain function. Personalize the add in ingredients to the flavours your family loves. Serve warm, or if you're like me - grab and go right out of the fridge!
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Whisk eggs, milk, dijon mustart, hot sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl.
3. Pour into a 9" deep dish pie plate (use whatever shape you have square etc)
4. Place your "add in " ingredients in the dish with the eggs, distribute evenly.
5. Place in middle rack of oven and bake 40-50 minutes. Until golden brown and a pairing knife inserted into middle comes out clean.
Add In any of the following combinations
1. 2 cups frozen broccoli, 1 cup cooked diced chicken, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese.
2. 2 roma tomatoes coarsley chopped, 2 Tbsp pesto.
3. 2 cups sauted mushrooms, 4 slices of cooked bacon, chopped; 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
4. 3 cups baby arugala, 3/4 cups goat cheese crumbled, 10 black olives, pitted and chopped,1 tsp oregano
If you're the kind of person who sticks a spoon into the peanut butter jar (only peanuts au natural of course) and eats it before you run out the door, this recipe is for you. This breakfast of champions definately out shines the bagel, muffin, or puffed cereal that are virtually devoid of nutrition. This recipe packs healthy protein, fats and the best food group of all chocolate. 3 Tablespoons or less with one of the add in combinations can take me right through until my next meal. If you are trying to cut out all those refined foods this is a great addition to your diet! My boys and I each grab a spoon and take a scoop before we leave the house. This high fat food helps the kids concentrate at school, boosts their immune system, keeps them regular and above all - easy to get them to eat!
2 Tbsp coconut oil (flavoured or unflavoured) http://www.coconutoil.com/
50 grams 85% chocolate
2 organic eggs
½ cup organic whipping cream
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp real vanilla
1. Place a medium pot over medium heat. Add 1 cup of water to the pot. Place stainless steel or glass bowl on top. Bring water in bottom pot to a slow simmer.
2. Add chocolate and coconut oil, into the bowl and let melt.
3. In a bowl whisk eggs with cinnamon and vanilla.
4. While constantly whisking, pour eggs slowly into chocolate.
5. Continue whisking until eggs are completley incorperated and mixture thickens.
6. Remove mixture from stove and let cool for 15 minutes.
7. Beat the cream until it is thick.
8. Fold the cream into the above mixture.
9. Place in refrigerator until ready to eat.
Add In – Fold any of the below combinations into the mixture in step 7. Alternatively you can leave the mousse plain and individualize as you go!