|Micro Greens with Pomegranate and Hemp Seeds|
No other vegetable can pack such a nutritional punch! Calorie for calorie, greens are perhaps the most concentrated source of nutrition. Regardless of what type of diet you follow (vegetarian/primal/raw food etc..) green vegetables have a big role to play. While many may think greens are difficult to prepare or not palatable - nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, once you learn to prepare greens and enjoy their diversity, you will begin to crave them.
Greens and Your Body
- Chlorophyll builds the blood, stops bacterial growth, eliminates body odour, counteracts toxins, inflammation, radiation, builds a healthy gut and improves liver function.
- Contain minerals including iron, calcium, magnesium and potassium .
- High in fat soluble vitamins A,D,E and K -enjoy your greens with a good source of fat for absorption.
- Contain C and B vitamins and folate.
- Contain many phytonutrients such as indole -3-carbinol, thiocyanates, zeaxanthins, sulforaphane and leutein and quereitin. Anti-oxidants that protect cells from damage, display strong anti-cancer activities, prevent heart disease and stroke and decrease symptoms related to allergies..
|Swiss Chard sauteed in Coconut oil with garlic and chili flakes|
Varieties of Greens
Spinach, kale, swiss chard, turnip/beet/mustard greens, brussel sprouts, broccoli, broccoli sprouts, arugula, watercress, parsley, collard greens, bok choy, lettuces and cilantro just to name a few.
- Combine one or more variety in salad, topped with nuts, cheese and organic olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Make some tasty Kale Chips http://insatiablefood.blogspot.com/2010/11/lime-jalapeno-kale-chips.html
- Sautee a combination of greens in coconut oil with seasoning such as ginger, garlic and chilis. http://insatiablefood.blogspot.com/2010/09/sunday-fall-side-dishes.html
- Lightly steam spinach and serve with 2 poached eggs.
- Steam kale, allow to cool. Add chopped apple, feta cheese, red onion, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Use raw cabbage and collard leaves as a wrap for other healthy fillings.
- Add herbs such as parsley and cilantro to stir fry, soups and stew. At the very end of cooking.
2 cups chopped broccoli
2 cups chopped rapini
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
2 cloves chopped garlic
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 jalapeno finely chopped
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
pinch of salt and pepper
1.Steam the broccoli, rapini and spinach in a stovetop steamer until bright green.
2.Place a large skillet over medium heat and add oil. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 4 minutes. Add spices and stir well to toast. Stir in the steamed greens and let cook for 5 minutes.
Add coconut milk and heat through, add cilantro and season with salth and pepper.
Greens are fantastic - Eat them up!