Making after school snacks that are healthy and fun for your kids to eat can become a real "labour" of love. Kids rush through the door, throw their backpacks down, hand you a pile of paperwork and the first words out of their mouth "what's for snack?" When I was a kid, peanut butter was a go to staple but these days sending snacks to school with peanuts is a no no, so I reserve the right to feed them this cheap and cheerful staple at home. Here is a great snack that packs a great peanut punch!
Peanut Butter Crunchers
(makes about 20)
1 cup crisp rice cereal
1/4 cup dried fruit or mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
- Place oats, rice cereal and dried fruit/chocolate chips in a large mixing bowl.
- Place peanut butter, honey and butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Heat gently, stirring occasionally until butter is melted, remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool slightly
- Pour peanut butter mixture into oat mixture and stir well. Use your hands to mix really well!
- Begin by taking some of the mixture into your hands an forming into a compact ball. You will have to really press the mixture together.
- Place in a airtight container and store in the fridge.
Add up to 1 Tbsp of the following, into step 1.
chia seeds, hemp seeds, sesame seeds, ground flax.