Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My first post!

Okay, I have finally decided to take the plunge and start a blog. I can’t promise how often I will submit but I do want to attempt at least a weekly entry of some sort. For those who know me, you know my passion is food. It affects everything I do from morning to night. My interests in food is expansive and runs from field to table to cultural traditions, nutrition, gourmet cooking, our emotional relationship with food, environmental issues, how food connects us globally and locally, in fact there isn’t much that doesn’t intrigue me about the food world.
Professionally I wear many hats. I run a cooking school by day and am a culinary instructor by night. I write a quarterly food column for an online magazine www.joleemagazine.com and from time to time take on catering gigs. My passion is in teaching and I have done everything from basic cooking for kids to nutrition seminars for corporations and hospitals. My opinions are shaped by my background in homeopathic medicine and nutrition and my ideas are always evolving as I try to seek out current information and food trends.
Personally, I have had a tumultuous relationship with food -which like many things is improving with age. I have battled weight issues my entire life and have a family history of obesity heart disease, cancer and diabetes (who doesn’t) and my drive to learn more about the food we eat is often fuelled by an understanding that food is something that is powerful enough to keep those genetic susceptibilities at bay!
So tune in for lots of informative, sometimes controversial but always important food talk if you’re lucky I might throw a recipe your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment