Monday, October 1, 2012

The Oatmeal Switch Up


When you think about oatmeal, what are the toppings that automatically pop into your head? Probably maple syrup, brown sugar, apples, berries, nuts and milk. Right?

What if I asked you to think of oatmeal as a vehicle for savoury toppings? Sounds interesting, right?!

Oats are simply a blank canvass which lend themselves to sweet AND savoury flavours, equally. They are a healthy whole grain, similar to rice, quinoa or polenta - all grains that easily work as a sweet or savoury dish!

Now I understand if you prefer a sweet breakfast, so many of us do! However, I'm a sucker for a good warm savoury breakfast, so I asked myself: 'Why not switch up my oatmeal'? 
 


I think it's time that we shine the spotlight on oatmeal as a versatile nutrition power house.  So go ahead, adorn your bowl of oatmeal with a creative savoury option.  My latest thrill is topped with leftover roasted sweet potatoes and a soft poached egg.  Great for breakfast, lunch, light dinner or pick me up snack!

Ideas for Savoury Oatmeal
  • Cook your oatmeal in stock or lightly salted water instead of plain water.
  • Use leftover vegetables, legumes and protein to top plain oatmeal.
  • Add dry spices (cumin, curry, Italian seasoning,) while cooking.
  • Garnish with fresh herbs, cold pressed olive oil or balsamic vinegar.


Steel cut oats, roasted sweet potatoes, poached egg and porcini balsamic glaze!

2 comments:

  1. I am so making this *wipes drool from mouth* it reminds me of the first time I tasted oats outside of breakfast. I went to Three Chimneys on the Isle of Skye for Shirley's Skirlie Mash - a must place to stay and eat in Scotland!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sounds amazing! Glad you like the recipe idea!
    Good Eats!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete